Nejc Zupan is a National Cricket Player from Slovenia. Nejc has played in Slovenian Cricket League and Austrian Open League. Currently he is playing for Škofja Loka Cricket Club (ŠLCC) and has played for Ljubljana Cricket Club. Cricket is not very popular in Slovenia. Therefore Nejc and his team conducts competitions between primary schools to spread and publicize cricket. Also there is a plan of constructing 2 more Cricket grounds in Slovenia, which shall further see more students participating in the game.
1. Tell us about yourself?
Full Name: Nejc Zupan
Date of Birth: 2.8. 1980
Playing Role: bowler / keeper
Batting Style: orthodox
Bowling Style: medium/fast
Address: Posavskega 26, Ljubljana
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
I am occasionally coaching kids at local primary schools. I do not own a club but I established 2 of them in the last 5 years.
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
Yes I am still playing. I've started playing cricket in 2008 and I was fortunate enough to play in Slovenian Cricket League, Austrian Open League and the Slovenian national team.
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
I am playing for Škofja Loka Cricket Club (ŠLCC) and Ljubljana Cricket Club when we play in Austrian Open League (AOL). ŠLCC was found in 2009. Currently I am working as a swing dance instructor.
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
My team would like to play as much quality cricket as possible while still contributing to the high level of our domestic league. We are inclined to get as many Slovenian native individuals introduced to this lovely sport and eventually get them to play it as well. We are looking forward to building 2 new grounds in the capital of Slovenia called Ljubljana. By doing that we intend to start working closely with primary and secondary schools, establish a strong development program and form an under 13 and under 17 teams that can compete internationally. Since Slovenia is a very out-door country with people actively participating in many sports we see a huge potential in developing and recognising cricket as one of Slovenian mayor sports. By building 2 proper grounds one next to the other we are planning to contribute to the development of cricket in the Balkans (Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia) as we could host mayor international tournaments.
6. Do your club/association have any website or Facebook page? Mention their links.
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
Every now and then we organize competitions between primary schools in Ljubljana. In this year three of them were held already.
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp? Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name)?
I'd love to visit India or Pakistan for a cricket tournament or coaching camp since we are left here pretty much to our selves.
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
The biggest challenge that we are facing is recognition of the sport itself. Although we have a league and are working with the kids regularly not enough people know the sport even exist in our country. One reason for it was the location of our main cricket grounds. We are slowly taking care of that but if could get our sport television programs to broadcast international cricket matches (at least T20) it would make it much easier for us to get people interested in practising and playing.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
Getting local sport TV channels to start broadcasting at least some T20 games since there is more cricket here then rugby and baseball and yet we still can't seem to see it on TV. The fact that we're going to get 2 grounds in the city will help greatly too.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country. Also mention the name and email id of these 3 clubs.
Zagreb cricket club: http://zagrebcricket.com/
Mežica cricket club: https://sites.google.com/site/mezicakk/1974
Žabarji cricket club: https://www.facebook.com/Zabarji