Charlie Burke is currently head coach of the Hong Kong National Men and Women's cricket teams. He also completed 2 years with the International Cricket Council (ICC) where he was a development officer for the East Asia Pacific region. Charlie is Director of Cricket for Hong Kong. Charlie, who is Level 3 Coach from Cricket Australia has also coached under age teams representative teams in Western Australia.
1. Tell us about you?
Full Name: Charlie Burke
Date of Birth: 1st July 1979
Playing Role: Right Arm Medium/Middle order batsman
Batting Style: Right Hand batsman
Bowling Style: Right arm bowler
Country: Australian (birth) Hong Kong (present)
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
National Coach and Director of Cricket for Hong Kong.
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
No have retired from any competitive cricket to focus on coaching.
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
Use to play for Claremont/Nedlands CC (Australia) and Stockton CC (UK).
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
I want my players to respect the work we have put in together and realise the importance of the team over any individual. I want to be known as a coach that has included everyone and had faith in everyone's ability.
6. Do your club/association have any website or Facebook page? Mention their links.
Twitter: @CricketHK (HKCA) @Burkey_99 (my personal one) and Facebook: Hong Kong Cricket Association
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
Last year we gained One Day International Status and beat Bangladesh in the ICC WT20.
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp?
Love India and have been many times and would go again any day
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
Facilities is the biggest issue for most associate countries and we are no different, we make do with what we have and improvise.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
More understanding of the game and how it can be played anywhere at any time, it isn’t just 11 people standing in the field.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country.
Kowloon Cricket Club
Little Sai Wan
Hong Kong CC