Abhishek Chauhan is the President and member of Kopavogur Cricket Club and is working hard to develop and sustain cricket in Iceland. In a country, where the climatic conditions are always a challenge and not favourable for playing Cricket, Abhishek and his team have started Indoor trainings in order to grow their game of Cricket. Abhishek, who represented his college teams in India, moved to Iceland for work. But the love for the game never left him alone. With the help of other Cricket Fans in Iceland, he started Kopavogur Cricket Club. The club holds weekly practice and Icelander's are enjoying this game. In the interview below, Abhishek talks about the plans that his team are working on, in order to build a stable base for Cricket in Iceland.
1. Tell us about you.
Full Name: Abhishek Chauhan
Date of Birth:19 August,1990
Playing Role: All Rounder
Batting Style: Left Handed Middle- Order Batsman
Bowling Style: Slow /Medium left arm orthodox
Favourite Cricketer: Derek Underwood (Cricinfo.com)
Address: 200 Kopavogur
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
Right now, I am the "President’’ and member of Kopavogur Cricket Club. I am also the Tour and Sponsor Manager of the team. I invite teams from different countries to play against us. I always felt that we can make cricket big in Iceland. Then, I found few special people who also had the same views about cricket. We decided to put everything together. It resulted in the formation of Kopavogur Cricket Club.
1. Abhishek Chauhan: President
2. Jason Capps: Vice- President
3. Jakob Robertson: Treasurer
4. Dries Roux: Secretary
5. Nolan Williams: Coach (Retired County Player)
6. David Cook: Data in-charge
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
Yes, I am practising for the summer season. I love playing sports since my childhood. Cricket is very close to my heart. I have represented my college team in the past. Then, I started working abroad but love for the game never died.
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
Kopavogur Cricket Club is the sole team in Iceland. We had Reykjavik Cricket Club in the past but we decided to form a new club. It was founded by Ragnar Kristinsson and his friends in 2001. Kopavogur Cricket Club is also known as "Iceland Cricket Team’’.
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
It’s a big question for a small club. We are taking one step at a time. We have certain goals in our mind which we are trying to achieve with the help of each other.
"Some of the Future goals of our team:
• Play against three to four clubs in the season.
• At least one tour to a European Club
• Squad of 20 players before the end of the season.
• Organize one tour at least to US
• Participate in Central Europe Cup
• Invite at least two teams for the tour
• Squad of 35 players before the season
• Organize a four nation tournament
• Participate in a ICC Tournament
• Formation of two clubs in the country
• Squad of 50 players in the country"
6. Do your club/association have any website or Facebook page? Mention their links.
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
We played a match against Australian club last year. Upcoming year is going to be extremely busy for the club: Kopavogur Cricket schedule 2015-2016:
*US Team: 22 May to 25 May, 2015
*UK Team: 4 June to 7 June, 2015
*Aus Team: 21 July to 28 July, 2015
*Prague Tour: 2 September to 6 September,2015
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp? Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name).
Yes, if it’s possible then we would come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp without a doubt. Iceland is not a great spot during the winters as we have only 4 hours of sunlight. We would like to travel any country which is in the budget of every player.
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
Weather, Weather and Weather. Weather in Iceland is very extreme compared to any country in the world. You need to be ready for everything in this nation. Short summer and long winter are also a major issue in our country. We can’t do anything about it. We just pray to God for better summer every year.
Finding Sponsor is also a major concern for our team. No one is getting paid in the whole team. I want to say a big ‘’ Thank You’’ to all the BOD members and players as they are taking out time from their life to play the most beautiful game in the world. We are trying our best to find sponsor for our team. ‘’CRICHQ’’ is helping us a lot in lot of department but still it’s not enough.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
Sponsor ASAP. We need to put some advertisement in the paper and buy good equipments for the team. Money can solve lot of issues for the team and will help us to spread cricket all over our country.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country. Also mention the name and email id of these 3 clubs.
12. Would you like to nominate any club from your country for a free website from Global Cricket Community? If Yes, Why?
We are the only one here in the middle of nowhere but somewhere in the world i.e. Iceland.
13. Tell in brief (One paragraph). Which country are you supporting this World Cup? And Why?
Ireland even though it’s like a dream to win the tournament as it would give a strong reply to ‘’ICC’’ that World Cup should be for at-least 16 teams not 10 in the future. If you would like to promote sports then increase the number of participants in a tournament.