Frank Spiteri is National Cricket Player from Malta and is also Vice Chairman of the Malta Cricket Association. Besides playing, Frank has a keen interest in coaching. He is the ECC Certified Level 1 Coach. Frank started playing competitive Cricket at a tender age of 16. In his 24 years of Cricket career, he has played for Latrobe Cricket Club, Essendon Cricket Club, Harrow Cricket Club and is now playing for Melita Cricket Club, which was founded by Frank himself. In order to promote Cricket in Malta, Frank started a sports travel company named Tour Cricket, which attracts 500-600 Cricket tourists a year. Frank wishes to continue playing Cricket, organising Cricket tours to Malta, nurturing Junior Cricket teams. Global Cricket Community would like to thank Frank for his commendable efforts in bringing up Malta Cricket.
1. Tell us about you.
Full Name: FRANK SPITERI
Date of Birth: 08 MAY 1975
Playing Role: TOP ORDER BATSMEN
Batting Style: RIGHT HAND
Bowling Style: RIGHT ARM OFF-BREAK
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
A playing member and founder of the Melita Cricket Club – Malta and member of the Malta national cricket team since 1995 (20 years). Holder of ECC Level 1 coaching certificate and currently coaching in Malta. Vice-Chairman of the Malta Cricket Association and Managing Director of www.tourcricket.com, a sports travel company dedicated to promoting Malta and European cricket.
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
Played competitive cricket since the age of 16 (far too late) for Latrobe Cricket Club in Victoria. Represented Essendon CC in the Victorian Premier Cricket League and Harrow CC in the Middlesex League. Represented Melita CC, Marsa CC Representative and Malta national team here in Malta.
Top scores for Malta 157* and 98* in ODI. Total of 42 caps (1 x 100 / 9 x 50s and 1415 runs, average 40).
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
Currently play for Melita CC – Malta (formed in 1998 – Club patron Russell Crowe). Currently coaching at Malt Cricket and Managing Director at my own Sports Travel Company (Tour Cricket.com and MaltaSportsTours.com)
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
At the age of 40, I hope I will be still playing competitive cricket in 5 years and developing junior cricket in Malta to establish junior national teams competing in ICC tournaments.
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
Since 1990, Malta have taken part in 14 international tournaments, competing against 23 different European nations.
In 2013, Malta were successful as hosts of the Malta International T20 tournament and followed this up in 2014 with victory in the Pan European T20 tournament.
Malta will take part in the Central Europe Cup in June 12-13-14 (Prague) against (Sweden, Malta, Czech, Poland).
Malta will also host a 4 nation tournament 2-3-4 October 2015 and we would be happy to provide updates and details.
2014 Pan European T20, Hungary (Winners)
2013 Malta International T20, Malta (Winners)
2012 ICC Europe T20 Division 3, Greece
2011 ICC Europe T20 Division 2, Belgium
2009 ECC Division 3, Spain
2007 European Championship Division 3, Belgium (Semi Finalists)
2005 ECC Affiliates Championship, Belgium
2003 ECC Trophy, Austria
2001 ECC Trophy, Austria (Semi Finalists)
1999 ECC Trophy, Greece
1997 ECF Nations Cup, Switzerland (Semi Finalists)
1995 European Cricketer Cup, Radley
1992 European Cricketer Cup, Worksop
1990 European Cricketer Cup, Guernsey
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp? Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name)?
India is a long way for us to travel from Malta. We would like to travel to the UAE in future for a tour as it may be more achievable.
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome these challenges?
Cricket is a minority sport in Malta, which is dominated by football. We have made progress in our meetings with Government and Sports Organisations who are frequently invited at our tournaments. We try to emphasise the positive social and health aspects of sport in our society, especially our youths.
Of all sports, cricket attracts the most tourists to Malta (around 500-600 per year).
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
Presence of a (full-time) national coaching development officer to direct our cricket development would definitely help.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country.
Marsa Cricket Club
Krishna Cricket Club
Melita Cricket Club
Marauders Cricket Club
12. Would you like to nominate any club from your country for a free website from Global Cricket Community? If Yes, Why?
Marauders CC are a team of Rugby players in Malta and would definitely benefit from having their own identity on a website to promote their cricket side.