Wolford Samson Kalworai is a National Cricket Player and Cricket Development Officer for Vanuatu Cricket Association. Vanuatu is an Island Country from Oceania. In last couple of years, Vanuatu has done excellent in the field of Cricket and has become one of the emerging Cricket Nation and was awarded with Associate membership from ICC. All the Credit goes to the Players, Coaches and Volunteers for their efforts in uplifting the Cricket Structure in Vanuatu. One such contributor is Wolford Kalworai who is representing the National team since 2007. Wolford has played U15, U17 and U19 Cricket, before getting into Senior Team. He is also involved in organising School Competition. He envisions a positive growth of Cricket in the Community and is working hard with his team to achieve the goals. Amidst the challenges like Lack of Cricket Gears & Training Facilities, Cricket in Vanuatu is marching ahead. Global Cricket Community would like to thank Wolford for his tremendous efforts.
1. Tell us about you?
Full Name: Wolford Samson Kalworai
Date of Birth: October 1 1991
Playing Role: Batsman
Batting Style: Right Hand Bat (RHB)
Bowling Style: Right Arm Off Spin (RAOS)
Address: Port Vila
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
I am a cricket development officer for Vanuatu Cricket Association. I’m a national cricket player representing my country since 2007 at age group level and the senior side since 2012 and I also have a level 1 coaching certificate.
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
Yes, I am still playing cricket. I’ve played cricket since 1999 and have played through U15, U17, U19 and Senior level both in club cricket and for the Vanuatu National Team.
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
I played for my home club team Ifira cricket club, MatoaCrushers, Mainlanders,Air Niugini Southern Jets, East Asia-Pacific Team, Vanuatu U15, U17, U19 and National Men’s Team. I’m currently working for the Vanuatu Cricket Association.
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
I want to see Vanuatu keep progressing up the world cricket league divisions from Division Six to Division Three. Having said that we want to focus on elite training and play cricket games against stronger sides from around our region and the world.
6. Do your club/association have any website or facebook page? Mention their links.
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
I’ve been organizing players to play for the Ifira U15 and U17 in the Port Vila club competition. I also assist in the organisation of the school competition for different age groups as part of my work.
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp?
Yes I would love to travel to India for a coaching camp or a tournament. That would be great.
Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name)?
Yes, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Netherlands or United Arab Emirates (UAE).
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
Some of the challenges we face are finding suitable cricket gear for club teams, and quality training facilities. This always be a problem in Vanuatu because of the lack of available funds. We have a state province partnership program with Central Districts Cricket in New Zealand the ICC EAP who help bring cricket gear into the country. Facilities is a much more difficult problem however we have built a multi purpose training facility recently. Hopefully we can find sponsors soon who can help us develop our cricket facilities.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
More funds to create more opportunities for Cricket Development Officers to promote cricket in the outer islands in Vanuatu.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country.
1) Ifira Cricket Club
2) Mele Bulls Cricket Club
3) APT Dolphins Cricket Club
12. Would you like to nominate any club from your country for a free website from Global Cricket Community? If Yes, Why?
Yes, I would like to nominate my club Ifira Cricket Club for a free website from Global Cricket Community due to the clubs need to promote the club through our local community, Vanuatu, the pacific region and globally.