Bineesh Vadavathy who was born in India and has represented Mozambique National Cricket Team as a Captain for consecutive 5 years. Currently he is into Cricket Administration and is serving as Vice President of Tournament Council in Mozambique. Bineesh has previously played for Rio Matola Cricket Club. Bineesh was also awarded as "Volunteer of the Year Award" for promoting Cricket in Mozambique. In the Interview, Bineesh talks on how Mozambique Cricket has flourished in the last 6 years by involving local Mozambican Players.
1. Tell us about you?
Full Name: BINEESH VADAVATHY
Date of Birth: 19/05/1977
Playing Role: ALL ROUNDER
Batting Style: RIGHT HAND
Bowling Style: RIGHT HAND, MEDIUM PACER
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
CRICKET ADMINISTRATION. Serving as Vice President of Tournament Council, Cricket Mozambique.
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
No, retired in 2013. I have captained the country from 2009. Played for Mozambique from 2006 to 2013.
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
I have played for Rio Matola Cricket Club. The club was formed in 2008 and sooner became prominent club in the country not only about winning but also about promoting and developing cricket. I work in Maputo, Mozambique.
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
Mozambique is one country which has focused in the last 6 years about bringing local Mozambican players and sacrificed international ranking on the process. Though we have lost a lot of matches during this period, the goal was clear and we never thought of moving away from our priorities, which is to develop cricket in Mozambique and move away from expat based cricket. We have promoted a lot junior players to senior cricket last year and results are about to show.
We have set our goal to be in the top 3 of Africa Division 2 in the next 2 years. Our focus is on school cricket, which we think is the right way to market cricket in the country.
6. Do your club/association have any website or Facebook page? Mention their links.
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
On a personal note, winning the "Volunteer of the Year" for promoting cricket in Mozambique was a great satisfaction. Mozambique Senior Team finished 3rd in Mpumalanga League(South African Province) in 2012 was another mile stone. Winning Mpumalanga T20 League(South African Province) in 2014 was another step forward.
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp? Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name)?
We will welcome any opportunity to improve our cricket and we are open to ideas provided they are under regulation of ICC/ACA and Mozambique Cricket Association.
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
Needless to say, poverty is the enemy, like most of the other African nations. We tend to lose our promising junior cricketers as they grow and they tend to look for job to feed the family and cricket become secondary. We employ a lot of young cricketers to develop cricket in the schools, but it's far less, comparing the number of young cricketers coming up.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
Hard to answer, Mozambique being Portuguese speaking and not a traditional cricketing nation, cricket development was an extremely difficult task for us. There is no short cut for us and its always a long process, but we are up for it.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country. Also mention the name and email id of these 3 clubs.
1. Rio Matola GDC
2. Maputo Cricket Academy
3. Akaya Cricket Club
12. Would you like to nominate any club from your country for a free website from Global Cricket Community? If Yes, Why?
13. Tell in brief (One paragraph). Which country are you supporting this World Cup? And Why?
I support South Africa, they are not only our neighbour, but a great friend and help in our cricket development.